I’ve gone back to basics this time around and made a classic vanilla cupcake, but up’d my game when it came to the all important decorating. I can be shocking at the best of times when it comes to icing, or even presenting a few edible pearls on top. This time around I’ve opted for a plain and simple vanilla cupcake recipe, with a buttercream icing finished off with a sprinkle of coconut shavings and a giant, white chocolate button – who could say no to these?
Over the past couple of weeks I’ve found myself being very Sunday, straight after my driving lesson. I drop myself off in town, stock up on ingredients and stroll back and wander into the kitchen to bake. I’ve always loved baking, so what better way to spend your Sunday morning – other than in bed.
150g Self Raising Flour, sifted
110g Caster Sugar
2 Eggs, beaten
1tsp Vanilla Extract
140g Butter, for the icing
280g Icing Sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180c and line a tray with 12 paper cases.
2. In a medium sized bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
3. Gradually beat in the two eggs and stir in the vanilla extract.
4. Fold in the flour until all is combined.
5. Pour the mixture into your paper cases and bake for 10-15 minutes.
6. Whilst the cupcakes cool once baked, beat the butter for the icing in a bowl until soft.
7. Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
8. Add the remaining icing sugar until well combined. If you find the consistency is dry, add a splash of milk.
9. Place in to a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe it in a swirling motion on top of the cupcakes.
10. Sprinkle a dash of coconut shavings on top and place a white chocolate button at the side.