I’ve developed a small food category on this blog, but I’d love to develop it a lot more by featuring more of my home-cooking. Since moving into my first home, I’ve started to really enjoy coming home from work and cooking a meal from scratch. Don’t get me wrong, I still want a quick and easy meal to make, but I want to make it fresh and with lots of flavour, so I’ve recently been picking recipes from Jamie Oliver’s recent book: 5 Ingredients. Seriously, if you want quick and easy meals, I highly recommend this recipe book. It’s likely that you already have the ingredients in your kitchen, but just never thought to combine them!
Another recipe book by the man himself that I like the sound of, is his 15 Minute Meals. I love watching the show, but decided to give one of the recipes from the book a shot, and below is how it turned out. One thing I’ve noticed, as an amateur cook, is that my food’s presentation is not appealing whatsoever. However, I think the Sizzling Steak, Hoisin Prawn & Noodle Bowl didn’t turn out too bad.
Please note, this can be found in the Jamie Oliver 15 Minute Meals Recipe Book. I have listed the ingredients which I used during my attempt of this recipe, however there are more if you use Jamie Oliver’s full recipe.
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 spring onions
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander
- 4 nests of egg noodles
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 10-15 raw peeled prawns
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 x 200g sirloin steaks, fat removed
- 1 tbsp Chinese five-spice
- 250g mushrooms
- Throw the garlic, spring onions and half the bunch of coriander in the processor and blitz.
- Toast the sesame seeds in the dry pan, tossing often until golden, then tip into a small bowl and put aside.
- Rub the steaks all over with salt, pepper and the five-spice, season both sides.
- Heat large pan on medium high with oil; once oil starts smoking, add steaks.
- For medium rare steaks, cook for 2 minutes then flip over and add mushrooms to pan and cook for another 2 minutes, then remove from pan and set aside on cutting board.
- Put the remaining oil into the pan or wok on medium high heat and add the food processed mixture into pan, after a minute add prawns.
- In a seperate pan with boiling salted water, add the noodles and in 3-5 minutes they’re done, add to pan.
- Toss for a minute and add the hoisin and soy sauces and the rest of the coriander leaves.
- Toss in mushrooms.
- Dish into bowls, sprinkle with the toasted seeds.
- Cut the steaks into thin slices and serve.